Pages

Friday 25 August 2017

The Thomas Ingoldsby (Canterbury, Kent)

The Canterbury Tales & The First Pint

We had not planned to do a spoons today.  As you know we recently went to see Kinky Boots, we offered to take gamma and gamma-p to see a show.  They wanted to see ‘the play that goes wrong’, but we left it too late.

Plan B was to visit the Canterbury tales.  I had never been before.  On the day gamma-p was not feeling well, so that left the these of us, gamma, the wife and I.  We walked into town from gammas flat, and headed straight to the tales.

There was no queue (perhaps this was a sign?), we payed for the 12:30 slot and waited for a short while in the nice garden area around the back.  This area is good if you have young children, but gamma is too old to enjoy it.

I don’t want to spoil the tales for anyone, but for me it was pretty rubbish, the wife and gamma scored it 6 of out ten, for me it scrapped a 4, and that was only for using innuendo and out dated terms such as ‘nancy’ (I wondered what word the Danish tourist translation would have substituted for this).

Outside the tales is a Fish and chip shop, and given that our last trip to Canterbury did not have fish and chips we decided today was the day, for me this was one of the best bits of the trip and the food was very good.

Gamma needed to get a prescription (we pondered if there is such a thing as postscription), then I felt the need for a drink

The wife suggested to gamma that he might want to buy me a pint of beer.  This has been suggested since his 18th birthday and today it was delivered, (better late than never), of course we went to a spoons.

I got a normal glass for my 1664, but the guy next to us was given the new ‘Nancy’ glass.

Thank you gamma for my beer!

On leaving the pub we heard an old lady turn the corner and shout with, in my view, too much excitement, "oh good, a wetherspoons", It makes me wonder if I have chosen the right topic for my blog as this place seems to be a magnet for loud and annoying people.

Gamma and gamma-p are moving out on Sunday, and will come back home for a short while, we are really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment